Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Geeks, rejoice :)

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.

God. Just those words make me squeal a little inside and want to curl up with that book and a cup of tea while simultaneously googling ways to create an authentic Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster.

I bring it up because on October 12th, 1979, Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy was released in London, making today the 31st anniversary of its release.

I remember first discovering the book, thanks to my darling Gay Boyfriend, who has yet to steer me wrong in the ways of books and music. That summer years ago during which I discovered the friendly words “Don’t Panic” (and became increasingly suspicious of mice) I learned many things, but two stuck out in my mind:

1. My vocabulary, expansive as it may be, had yet to adequately explore the English language in the British sense.

2. I fancied myself witty. I was not. I became painfully aware that I was not living up to my full potential, and that this was a problem that needed to be rectified as soon as possible.

I also learned that I am NOT the only one who thinks up wildly outrageous scenarios and puts them on paper, and that one of the most amusing ways to describe anything is to tell someone precisely what it is NOT.

I can safely say that discovering and reading H2G2 was an Event in my life, and I urge you all to share and enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment